Our client, a construction company with a nationwide reach, is seeking a Payroll Manager to lead payroll processes, and the payroll team. In this new role, the Payroll Manager will have the opportunity to use technical skills to manage multiple platforms, serve as a subject matter expert for the Payroll function, and bring a positive attitude that will support the organization’s employee-centric culture. Are you an experienced Payroll professional looking for an opportunity to use your expertise to make an impact? If so, look no further!
Reporting to the Vice President of Human Resources, the Payroll Manager is responsible for and ensures accuracy and timeliness of payroll processes. Collaborating with HRIS, HR, Finance and IT resources on a regular basis, the Payroll Manager establishes efficient and effective processes and procedures for all payroll processes and acts as the process owner for the systems used to house and process data for payroll/HR (payroll, time & attendance, etc.).
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Perform period-end processes as needed for all different timeframes (daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual) to ensure deadlines are met.; also works with Apogee payroll, HRIS, compensation and benefits teams
- Supervise two payroll administrators. Responsibilities include hiring, training, and coaching employees. Models effective leadership
- Create a challenging and motivating environment for team
- Manage work load and fill-in for payroll administrators during vacations or leaves of absence
- Oversight of weekly payroll processing by payroll administrators
- Ensure all information in the systems and related tools is correct, such as employee information, deductions, PTO balances, local taxes, state taxes, union rates, benefits, etc.
- Handle escalated issues, such as communication with employees or leaders related to mandatory deductions, issues resolution, etc.
- Develop and maintain payroll tools and procedures such as traveler agreements, time and attendance systems, timesheets, etc.
- Provide primary support for ADP eTime time and attendance system for employees, office administrators, HR, leaders and payroll teams
- Responsible for data flow and reports to internal teams and providers (such as ACA, benefit providers, PTO accruals, etc.) and maintains upload specifications to efficiently upload data into Penta to process payroll as needed
- Responsible for account reconciliations of payroll for the general ledger
- Manage the tax filing provider relationship and service levels, continually evaluate and recommend solutions to best meet Company needs.
- Maintain and ensure the payroll system table setup for all taxes (federal/state/local) and work comp is complete and correct. Research payroll tax laws and provide guidance to ensure compliance
- Audit reporting requirements (such as W-2's, 1095's for ACA, etc.) and tax returns for federal, state, and local states
- Oversight of work comp and payroll tax audits related to Wage & Hour, federal, state, and local tax withholding jurisdictions and unemployment agencies
- Reconcile payroll tax general leger accounts
- Ensures HR and payroll systems setup for unions is complete and correct, including wages, fringes, etc. Research and set up new unions in new locations where Company does work.
- Ensure appropriate Union audit processes that leads to Company success, and handles discrepancies or issues to bring to resolution
- Completes annual reporting of union retirement and pension funds for Apogee and keeps VP of HR aware of plans listed in critical status
- General pay related questions and reporting
- Employer benefits and job costing
- Union contracts, rates, benefits, and reciprocity requirements
- Research and provide input on general and federal contractor/construction specific union, tax, legal, and company policy requirements related to payroll such as wage and hour, Work Hours and Safety Standards Act, Davis-Bacon, state/local prevailing wage, and other applicable laws
- Research new local, county, state and other tax jurisdictions for setup in Company systems. Provide specific pay and fringe analysis to management on case-by-case basis as needed to ensure compliance yet minimize unnecessary costs
- Work closely with HRIS Manager, IT Business Analysts to identify, scope, and build a case for systems, technology and/or processes to continually improve the payroll & HR process efficiency and effectiveness for processing payroll
- Work closely with HR Manager to establish policies and procedures to ensure compliance, while making processes as efficient and effective as possible
- Work closely with Finance team on account reconciliations, payroll process and business requirements analysis, etc.
- Responsible for managing the internal controls and processes for payroll and HR to ensure compliance with applicable state and federal regulations, corporate financial policies, and Sarbanes-Oxley requirements, working closely with the Finance team
- Responds to data and report requests related to payroll information for business users, etc.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university
- Minimum of 8 years relevant payroll experience with supervisory responsibilities; or equivalent combination of experience and education
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Experience with payroll and benefits processing, preferably with multi-tax, union jurisdictions, employee travelers, and multiple systems. Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel (pivot tables, v-lookup, etc.)
- CPP designation preferred
- Experience in union construction and/or environment with detailed project and employer costing requirements
- Excellent leadership and management skills
- Ability to balance the tactical day-to-day tasks with projects and process improvement opportunities
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as payments, deductions, taxes, and commissions.
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Strong work ethic with superior organization skills
- Working knowledge and skill with Microsoft suite including, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Access.
- Strong technical aptitude for payroll, ERP and HRIS systems. Penta, ADP eTime, or UltiPro, and reporting tools such as Cognos and SQL experience