Senior Accessibility Specialist
Come and join the largest and fastest growing UX team. We are a highly-diverse, multi-disciplinary team of over 45 smart, self-driven UX professionals that take great pride in our work, and love the challenge of turning complex problems and constraints into elegant solutions that meet our users needs. Our dedicated, open workspace is ideal for promoting an agile, collaborative, supportive environment where diverse thinking, innovative design and experimentation is welcomed and encouraged. Our work focuses on a large portfolio of cloud-based, data-driven applications for the Legal market that gross over $3.5B annually, and range in size and scale from months to multiple years.
Roles & Responsibilities:
As a Sr. Accessibility Specialist, you will be working to ensure all customers can access and use our products, defining policies and guidelines for Thomson Reuters as well as collaborating with the team to influence WCAG standards, evaluating and providing accessible solutions for web based and mobile products, educating and promoting the practice of building products with accessibility in mind, as well as mentoring others in methods and techniques for addressing accessibility barriers.
Company participates in the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium), which creates the standards for the web, including accessibility standards. The UX Accessibility team participates in the WCAG working group (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines), which is part of the W3C. You will have the unique opportunity to be a thought leader in cutting edge evolution of accessibility standards.
Required Skills & Expeirence:
- BA/BS in information science, information design, computer science, human computer interaction (HCI), instructional design, quality assurance, learning technology, assistive technology, related field or equivalent industry training / experience.
- 5+ years working in a fast-paced and highly collaborative development environment with experience in large, complex software or web applications
- Experience leading accessibility evaluations and usability testing for accessibility.
- A full understanding of Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) guidelines and specifications. Must be fluent in WCAG 2.0 guidelines, know WAI-ARIA, UAAG, and ATAG specifications.
- Experience with assistive technologies and accessibility-related software including JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver, Window-Eyes, ZoomText, MAGic, Dragon NaturallySpeaking or other speech recognition software.
- Ability to mentor others in methods and techniques for addressing accessibility barriers on web applications and mobile devices and in a variety of forums.
- Ability to develop tools/resources to help provide implementation directions and requirements for UX Design and Front End Development teams.
- Ability to work collaboratively and productively both with diverse teams and independently.
- Be an expert in conducting comprehensive accessibility testing with assistance against the WCAG 2.0 (AA) Success Criteria and the updated Section 508 federal requirements using the following methodologies: visual analysis; screen reader reviews; color sampling; keyboard only; gesture only; and code reviews.
- Experience working within constraints of user-centered design principles and tools.
- Experience with Agile development practices.
- Knowledge regarding how to format PDFs to be accessible.
- Strong project management, multi-tasking, and prioritization skills.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Can-do attitude.
- Interact with and provide direction to UX, technology, content, and product development teams.
- Cooperate with other departments to ensure consistency and quality across the platform.
- Assistive Technology users strongly encouraged to apply.