Versique's Client is a leading e-commerce retailer offering the finest garden varieties, live gift plants and home restoration products.
Versique’s Client is a leading e-commerce retailer offering the finest garden varieties, beautiful gift plants, and home restoration products. They are seeking a talented Chief Financial Officer that desires a healthy blend of strategic and tactical work. This position is responsible for all financial aspects of the daily business and will serve as the key interface between the Finance and Operations departments. In addition, the ideal candidate will report directly to the President/CEO and be their key resource in supporting the Company’s long-range goals, strategies, plans and policies, as well as summaries and forecasts for future business growth and communicating the Company’s financial performance.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Requires 50% travel in the first 12 months of employment to Greenwood, SC.
- Direct the organization’s accounting department, which includes establishing and maintaining the organization’s accounting principles, practices, procedures, and initiatives.
- Maintain the credibility of the finance group by providing timely and accurate financial statements.
- Partner with the Executive Management Team as its key resource in analyzing financial results and assisting the Executive Management Team in performing their responsibilities.
- Report reliable cash flow model (rolling 13 week) to project the Company’s cash flow needs.
- Prepare presentations for periodic board meetings/review.
- Provide technical financial advice and knowledge to others within the Company.
- Lead the annual budgeting process and own the development of all modeling tools.
- Participate in continual improvement of the budgeting process through education of department managers on financial issues impacting their budgets.
- Understand the key accounting principles affecting the Company (i.e. inventory / cost accounting and segment reporting) and ensure their accuracy in the financial reports.
- Represent the Finance Department’s interest on the IT Systems Team, ensuring that the Company’s ERP is operating efficiently and accurately, and related business processes are being accounted for appropriately.
- Provide strategic financial input and leadership on decision-making issues affecting the organization; i.e., long range goals, strategies, and evaluation of future growth.
- The Company is a subsidiary of a public company and consolidated group. Working with CFO of parent provide all tax-related information, including compliance for federal & state income tax, personal property tax, sales & use taxes, business and other taxes, licenses and permits.
- Lead all Company Sarbanes-Oxley (SOC) compliance related activities.
- Evaluate the financial division structure and team plan for continual improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of the group and provide individuals with professional and personal growth.
- Coordinate and maintain appropriate property & casualty, and corporate fiduciary insurance policies.
- Understand credit agreements and related covenants, monitoring the Company’s compliance and preparing borrowing base and debt covenant compliance certificates.
- Supervise all payroll-related functions of the Company.
Manages subordinate supervisor(s) who supervise employee(s); is responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of these units. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Integrity—the individual possesses high ethical standards and expects the same from all others in the organization.
- Analytical—the individual synthesizes complex or diverse information.
- Problem solving—the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Oral communication—the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts productive meetings.
- Delegation—the individual delegates work assignments, gives authority to work independently, and sets expectations and monitors delegated activities.
- Leadership—the individual inspires and motivates others to perform well, accepts feedback from others.
- Management skills—the individual includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; makes self-available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth.
- Quality management—the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Judgment—the individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions.
- Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or related program required
- Previous Controller or Chief Financial Officer experience preferred
- 10+ years of financial experience required
- 5+ years of leadership experience required
- 5+ years of cost accounting
- Sarbanes-Oxley (SOC) compliance experience
- Strong computer skills (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to provide exceptional leadership and support to team members
- Ability to take part in continuous education and training