Our client maintains an on-premise data center and makes extensive use of AWS. They're seeking a Chief Software Architect to drive the design of systems and applications in this hybrid environment.
The Engineering department has porous boundaries between teams – they encourage collaboration across roles to help find the best solutions possible.
Role & Responsibilities
- Actively participate in the development process, as needed.
- Determine overall architectural principles, frameworks, and standards for the Engineering department.
- Work with other architects and leaders to shape the architectural vision and roadmap for the organization.
- Provide technical leadership to architects and multiple development teams.
- Work with the development team and other architects to translate the software architecture into design.
- Conduct assessments of existing systems to identify potential improvements or issues.
- Oversee and drive the end-to-end architecture of all our software products.
- Drive long-term design strategies spanning multiple complex projects.
- Be responsive and decisive adjusting our architecture as customer requirements, market conditions, and technologies evolve.
- Craft solutions that are scalable and maintainable.
- Drive building early prototypes of product components and validate them for technical design and performance.
- Recommend modern technologies or processes to improve efficiency and/or productivity.
- Manage a team of Software Architects, motivating them and ensuring they are effective.
- Lead all technical leaders in engineering; 3-5 direct reports
- Maintain regular, productive 1:1’s.
- Perform yearly reviews.
- Review and approve PTO and similar administrative tasks.
- Build a transparent environment, involving the right people.
- Ensure that our client is continuously raising their standard of engineering excellence.
- Help ensure software products are secure, by understanding the latest threats and vulnerabilities.
- Understand the long-term business objectives and suggest technical strategies to meet those objectives by introducing innovation through technology.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Demonstrable experience (5+ years) in software architecture.
- Significant hands-on experience (7+ years) developing and deploying complex software solutions.
- Make decisions while balancing complex, conflicting interests.
- Excellent knowledge of software development methodologies and processes.
- Strong understanding of performance, scalability/resource utilization, resiliency & security, high availability
- Advanced expertise in the languages, tools, and frameworks used by developers, preferably some combination of these:
- .NET/C#, TypeScript, PHP, Python, Swift
- SQL Server, MongoDB, Aurora, DynamoDB, snowflake
- React/Redux, Hapi.js, ASP.Net, .Net Core/Desktop, Symfony/API Platform
- Significant, demonstrable understanding of infrastructure architecture, container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.), Azure, AWS, Google cloud, or similar
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect, preferred
- 5+ years of experience with Cloud Architecture Design
- Excel at written and verbal communication.
- Comfortable and competent at communicating architecture to all levels from C-suite to interns.
- Create technical documentation such as design diagrams or use cases to communicate the intended design to other members of the team.
- Get regular access to decision makers who
- Enable you to advise and influence
- Listen to your ideas of how we can do things better
- Work with new and compelling technology
- Want you to solve problems with the best technology, whether new or old
- A lot of what they're working on is new, leveraging AWS, CDK, etc.
- Not encounter institutional resistance to innovation
- Scrappy about how they are willing to invest and solve issues; balancing clever short-term solutions with building an ideal solution from scratch
- Be fostered to grow and thrive as both an individual and a valued team member, no matter your style or background
Work Environment, Benefits + Perks
While production facilities are in MN, the engineering department has the choice of working in-office, remotely, or hybrid; we value a creative and energized work environment tailored to how you work best. We’ll set you up with a Mac, as well as some hardware to help you get the job done. If remote, you should expect up to twice yearly on-site visits.
Medical, dental, vision, 401k matching, great discounts on photo products, and competitive salaries. Pursuing passions outside of your day-to-day work is an important part of a healthy work/life balance, so a flexible schedule is available. Every team member is provided opportunities to continue learning; with many conferences and most training going virtual, this is easier than ever.
Versique is a high-performance recruiting firm based in Minneapolis, MN specializing in interim solutions, direct hire, and executive leadership search. We believe people are the ultimate business advantage. Our experienced functional recruiting teams work within a variety of areas of expertise (HR, Finance & Accounting, Demand Generation, IT, and Engineering) and broad industries (Healthcare, Banking, Consumer Packaged Goods, Manufacturing, Private Equity, and Family-Owned). Voted as a “Star Tribune Best Places to Work” three years in a row by our employees, Versique is one of the largest and fastest growing staffing and recruiting firms in the Midwest. The Versique brand represents a powerful combination of “versatile” and “unique” as it hints at the concept of “search” in its pronunciation: ver-seek.
Versique is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse workforce. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status, among other factors.