This position is responsible for performing various duties in the ongoing management of credit risk. The incumbent performs and directs reviews of the bank’s commercial, consumer, and real estate loans to ensure compliance with established policies and standards. This position also has remote/hybrid flexibility.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Job Function 1: Conduct Review of Commercial and Agriculture Loans - 50%
- Perform independent reviews of commercial, ag, and commercial real estate loans for the purpose of identifying developing risk and validating the integrity of the bank’s risk rating systems and lending process and controls.
- Conduct continuous review of all types of commercials and commitments.
- Validate underwriting assigned risk ratings.
- Review and test underwriting assessments of cash flow, identification of repayment source, adherence to written policy, policy exception approval, guarantor and collateral analysis.
- Change risk ratings as appropriate given risk identified in the review.
- Validate booked loans conform to approved terms and structures.
- Validate actions taken by underwriters are within their assigned lending authority.
- Confirm loans are properly documented to ensure bank and legal standards are met.
- Review quality and content of underwriter prepared credit displays and approval documentation – advising underwriters on content and quality.
- Prepare and present written reports summarizing findings and identified risks.
- Follow up on identified required corrective action.
Job Function 2: Credit Risk Monitoring Duties – 20%
- Investigate and present post-mortem report to the Credit Governance Committee on material credit loses.
- Conduct impairment analysis in support of allowance estimations.
- Report on credit risk metrics in support of the company's key risk indicator program.
Job Function 3: Conduct Review of Small Business Loans - 10%
- Perform independent review of small business lending practices including the use of automated scoring systems.
- Sample small business loan approvals for the purpose of testing adherence to written policy and defined scoring parameters.
- Determine that overrides receive appropriate approval.
- Review the production of periodic scoring system reports to assess system use and control.
- Sample small business loan files to ensure loans were properly documented and closed.
Job Function 4: Conduct Review of Consumer and Residential Loans - 10%
- Perform independent review of consumer and residential real estate lending practices include the use of automated scoring systems.
- Sample direct and indirect consumer loan approvals for the purpose of testing adherence to written policy and applicable consumer lending regulations.
- Review the production of scoring system reports to assess system use and control.
- Sample approved and declined system identified overrides to ensure proper approval.
- Sample loan files to ensure loans were properly closed and documented.
- Sample residential real estate loan approvals to ensure portfolio retained loans are properly closed and documented in accordance with bank policy.
Job Function 5: Maintenance of Loan Reviews - 10%
- Work with Enterprise Risk Manager to draft and submit an annual bank wide loan review plan.
- Develop, design, and implement standardized review and reporting forms and tools.
- Follow up with lending management to develop and implement corrective actions arising out of review findings.
- Conduct special target reviews at the direction of the Enterprise Risk Manager.
- Based on review findings, identifies needed target loan review and potential staffing concerns, reporting these needs and concerns to lending management.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelors degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of five years of banking experience in lending, regulatory examinations, or internal bank loan review preferred.
- Commercial lending and/or loan review specific job training.
- Proficient reading, writing, grammar, and mathematics skills.
- Thorough knowledge of banking lending principles, policies, and practices.
- Proficient consumer and commercial financial statement analysis skills.
- Knowledge of commercial, consumer, and residential real estate documentation standards.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Professional attitude.
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving ability.
- Self-starter with established ability to work effectively with minimal day-to-day supervision.
- Positive disposition.
- Strong organizational skills.
Physical Demands - Must be met with or without a reasonable accommodation:
- Extended periods of time sitting at a desk and using office equipment.
- Ability to operate a personal computer/laptop for approximately 8 hours per day.
- Extended time is spent reviewing physical and electronic documents.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- Periodically, may also do light lifting of supplies and materials which weighs in at approximately 20 lbs.
- Will spend most of time in an indoor environment.
Versique is a high-performance recruiting firm based in Minneapolis, MN specializing in interim solutions, direct hire, and executive leadership search. We believe people are the ultimate business advantage. Our experienced functional recruiting teams work within a variety of areas of expertise (HR, Finance & Accounting, Demand Generation, IT, and Engineering) and broad industries (Healthcare, Banking, Consumer Packaged Goods, Manufacturing, Private Equity, and Family-Owned). Voted as a “Star Tribune Best Places to Work” three years in a row by our employees, Versique is one of the largest and fastest growing staffing and recruiting firms in the Midwest. The Versique brand represents a powerful combination of “versatile” and “unique” as it hints at the concept of “search” in its pronunciation: ver-seek.
Versique is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse workforce. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status, among other factors.