Put your accounting skills to work in an environment that values thoughtful strategy and experience; and embraces creativity and initiative. Versique’s client, a top marketing communications agency is hiring a Controller for their downtown office.
The Controller of this Minneapolis creative services company will work closely with the President to direct all financial management functions of the company. She or he will work with the administrative staff to oversee the monthly accounting functions including billing and receivables, accounts payable, payroll and human resources. The Controller will also have direct responsibility for financial reporting, annual budgeting, monthly revenue, profit and cash projections, and cash management. In addition, the Controller will provide financial support on customer bids and proposals, and salary, contract and sales incentive issues and advanced business report development.
In addition to financial management expertise the Controller will require an ability to strongly team with all functional groups within the organization to align team goals to company policy. The Sales group is the most crucial relationship. The Controller works with Sales to prepare projects that are both financially acceptable by clients and aligned with Company resource and profit strategy.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Oversee the accounting operations of the Company, establishing policy and process improvements, as necessary
- Directly manage accounting staff; including the oversight for accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll
- Treasury management
- Prepare and present monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit and tax returns
- Perform cash projections to effectively manage cash balances
- Budget / forecast for revenue, expenses and cash flow
- Approval of client project estimates, provide guidance
- Manage banking relationship
- Taxes responsibilities including income tax return prep documents, sales tax returns
- Insurance (commercial & liability, workers compensation)
- Oversee Accounting / Admin staff
- Contract negotiations
- Benefits Administration
- Compensation structure – advise and stay abreast ensure equity across company roles
- Form opinions and intelligently advise management and personnel on all above
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration, required
- Certified Public Accountant designation, strongly preferred
- Minimum 5 years of accounting experience, including budgeting and forecasting exposure
- Service industry experience, preferred
- High level of proficiency in Excel and with financial accounting software systems are essential
- Demonstrated supervisory experience, excellent oral and written communication skills, and personal initiative
- Self-motivated with an entrepreneurial mindset
Versique’s Finance & Accounting executive search team pairs highly-skilled and experienced professionals with Minnesota’s best companies. Learn more about our outstanding Team and Talent Activation process that ensures technical skills and culture alignment for our candidates and clients.