Our client is a fast-growing building materials company in the rocky mountain region of the US with a strong niche position in an attractive growth market. The Company’s owners (a founding entrepreneur and his private equity partners) are looking for a Controller to help professionalize financial reporting, develop the accounting and management systems needed to support the scaling of the business, and provide analytical support to management as they explore organic and acquisitive opportunities for value creation.
Reporting directly to the President, the Controller provides leadership to and is responsible for the organization’s overall accounting and finance systems, practices and policies including GL management, reconciliations, consolidated financial reporting, budget and variance analysis and month and year-end close processes. The ideal candidate ensures that proper accounting controls are in place and strives to make continuous improvements. This role is also responsible for the management of the external audit and coordination of yearly tax returns and providing the management team with analysis of corporate and divisional financial performance; requiring job costing expertise.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Manage accounting operations including A/P, A/R, inventory, account reconciliations, fixed assets, sales & use tax filings and month end close ensuring compliance with accounting standards
- Prepare and publish consolidated monthly/quarterly/annual financial reporting packages to Board of Directors and Senior Leadership; work with department managers to research and prepare variance analysis and corrective actions
- Drive the annual budgeting and planning process; work with management to develop budgets to achieve company objectives
- Lead the research of complex accounting practices and ensure consistency for accounting practices
- Distributes financial information and helps management staff understand financial position and reporting data
- Analyze accounting, tax and regulatory requirements to ensure accuracy and control
- Develop business processes and accounting policies
- Review and manage balance sheet account reconciliations
- Manage the company's annual financial and bank collateral audits; coordinate with external auditors to ensure all information is completed accurately and timely with minimal audit adjustments
- Manage and oversee the continued development of the budgeting, reporting, forecasting, operating plan and modeling tools
- Engage cross functional teams and manage Tax, Audit, HR and IT functions
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA or CMA credentials, preferred
- 6+ years general Accounting with an emphasis on complex accounting issues, business analytics, month-end close processes with progressive responsibilities
- Manufacturing industry experience including inventory valuation and cost accounting, required
- Solid working knowledge of GAAP, cost accounting and accounting standards and practices
- Experience managing HR and IT functions, including OSHA regulations, strongly preferred
- Must be detail orientated and able to problem solve with cross functional groups
- Good decision-making process; ability to act after a reasonable amount of data gathering
- Polished, enthusiastic, persuasive, poised, strong public speaking and sociable
Versique is one of the largest recruiting firms in the Midwest and specializes in both consulting and permanent placement. With a valuable blend of functional, industry and recruiting experience, our award-winning team of headhunters has a proven track record of delivering exceptional talent acquisition solutions. The Versique brand represents a powerful combination of “versatile” and “unique” as it hints at the concept of “search” in it’s pronunciation: ver-seek.
Versique is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse workforce. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status, among other factors.