Director of Engineering
We are recruiting a critical engineering leadership position for an Industry leading, medical manufacturing client. Our client has a remarkable reputation for quality, speed, and responsiveness. Companies turn to our client consistently, as the manufacturer of choice because of enhanced capabilities, strong engineering talent, dedicated product focus, innovative product solutions, scalability, and speed to market every time. Exciting opportunity for high visibility within the organization. This Director of Engineering reports directly to the division President and is viewed as critical talent needed to achieve future business growth and goals. Will manage a team of engineers and CNC Programmers and bring experienced project management and coach best project management processes. Opportunity to bring knowledge and leadership to the position, team, and company.
The Director of Engineering serves as an organization leader for engineering and technical teams. This position provides direct and indirect management over technical staff. The Director will be responsible for ensuring functions meet the needs of customers including robust program management, successful new project launches, and sustaining engineering support throughout the product lifecycle. As the Engineering leader, you will contribute to company strategic planning, and have ownership over engineering objectives and annual performance indicators. The Director of Engineering will drive process improvement within department function and uphold compliance to Quality Management system.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Manage the engineering product life cycle.
- Contribute as an engineering thought leader on the leadership team and provide regular updates on new programs, assigned KPIs, and technical initiatives.
- Strengthen and expand engineering technical services through process improvement and executing strategic initiatives.
- Research industry specific technologies and lead capital investments is supporting technology.
- Assist operations with selecting and implementing appropriate technologies that result in lower manufacturing costs, lower process variability and higher manufacturing capability.
- Participate in new program feasibilities and provide technical insights on program challenges and opportunities.
- Coach and mentor the engineering manager, project leaders, and extended team members on new product development and transfer projects
- Develop skill sets of assigned staff to meet functional area objectives, business objectives and employees’ professional goals.
- Advise personnel in product and process validation and verification activities and train in best practices for medical device manufacturing.
- Coordinate with leadership colleagues across various functions to foresee/understand critical project activities and enable them to manage team resources.
- Maintain responsibility for development and validation of capable production processes that meet operational objectives.
- Drive DFM discussions with NPI and Operations on all new products.
- Evaluate and continuously improve all available internal and external technologies including equipment, special processes, and materials.
- Provide engineering resources in support of all necessary projects and activities.
- Review department expenditures, including compensation, expenses, maintenance, and equipment and software upgrades.
- Participate in cost modeling and pricing exercises for new and existing programs to support adding profitable opportunities and maintaining competitiveness.
- Build relationships with customers by providing technical solutions and project updates.
- Participate in trade shows, customer visits, customer audits, and regulatory audits.
- Support and comply with the company Quality System, ISO, and medical device requirements.
- Read, understand, and follow work instructions and standard work.
- Partner with other business segments: sales/marketing, customer service, engineering, quality, and finance.
- Understand customer needs and the core business markets.
- Ensure business systems are implemented, maintained, and are functioning properly.
- Maintain an organized work area (5S)
- Participate in the Operational Excellence Program
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field
- 12 years of engineering experience
- 6+ years of experience in medical manufacturing
- 6+ years of experience managing direct reports
- Experience within a contract manufacturing environment required
- Knowledge of Quality System: ISO9001, ISO13845
- Med Device regulation, design experience a plus
- Project management
- Budget management
- Leadership skills – mentor, coach, excellent communicator of metrics and resource to assist.
- Proven ability to achieve business results
- Excellent communicator - clear and effective verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organized and able to work in a fast-paced team environment
- Experience with MRP/ERP systems, preferred
- Experience in 510k and FDA submissions, preferred
- PMP or similar Project Management certification, preferred
- Lean manufacturing or Six Sigma certification(s), preferred
- Executive Management training, preferred
Versique is one of the largest recruiting firms in the Midwest and specializes in both consulting and permanent placement. With a valuable blend of functional, industry and recruiting experience, our award-winning team of headhunters has a proven track record of delivering exceptional talent acquisition solutions. The Versique brand represents a powerful combination of “versatile” and “unique” as it hints at the concept of “search” in it’s pronunciation: ver-seek.
Versique is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse workforce. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status, among other factors.