Director of Fulfillment
We are recruiting on behalf of a family-owned, multi-channel retailer located in West-Central Wisconsin for a critical fulfillment leader. Our client has proudly been in business for more than 100+ years. They own and operate 10 businesses that sell everything from shoes, makeup and apparel to appliances and electronics through their E-Commerce websites. They are an innovative, transformative and a dynamic organization with over 800 employees. With a strong belief in supporting their employees, our client has a culture of loyal, hard-working employees who are always looking for ways to improve and are open to change.
The Director of Fulfillment is responsible to lead and optimize our client’s high-volume direct to consumer fulfillment operations. The primary focus is the overall management of the fulfillment centers, driving efficiency, and accuracy through exceptional leadership and modeling core values.
This role will report directly to the Vice President of Sourcing & Distribution.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Lead and direct order fulfillment center operations including shipping, receiving, returns to meet customer volumes and seasonal demands within established metrics.
- Ensure processes are effectively established, followed, monitored and optimized.
- Continually review marketing and merchandising plans to provide for optimal fulfillment center space planning, fulfillment center operations.
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement, collaboration, and learning with leaders and team members to enhance problem solving and decision making to identify performance improvement opportunities.
- Establish and maintain effective and proactive communication with all fulfillment operations stakeholders.
- Lead fulfillment center projects and initiatives to support strategic goals and objectives.
- Partner with IT on development, testing and implementation of new or enhanced systems or processes.
- Design, implement and manage staffing strategies to ensure the fulfillment work force is nimble and flexible, balancing cost and customer experience.
- Oversee and manage all inbound and outbound domestic and international transportation including negotiating contracts, selecting transportation partners and optimizing the utilization of suppliers.
- Evaluate the financial impact of proposed transportation logistic changes such as shipping modes, carriers and product volumes.
- Ensure processes and procedures are in place to maintain inventory accuracy.
- Drive “Safety First” culture ensuring all safety guidelines and procedures are in place and followed.
- Assist in the creation, implementation and adherence to the fulfillment center and transportation budgets.
- Manage relationships with key fulfillment suppliers
- Assist with union negotiations and mange day to day relations
- Work collaboratively with cross functional teams and committees.
- Participate in or lead special projects
Knowledge, skills and abilities to ensure success:
- Operational rigor combined with excellent business acumen, problem solving, project management, analytical skills, and negotiation skills.
- Self-motivated with a strong sense of urgency, ownership and accountability.
- Comfort with both risk and ambiguity. Ability to work in a fast-changing environment, with an entrepreneurial approach.
- Strong collaborator, working great in cross functional relationships.
- A dedication to customer service that will permeate the entire organization.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Known to be a people leader
- Demonstrated customer centric focus.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree preferred; Master’s degree desired.
- 10+ years of progressive experience managing direct to consumer fulfillment operations with multiple distribution centers.
- Demonstrated mastery of high-volume order fulfillment via domestic & international small volume parcel carriers (FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.)
- Experience with Ecommerce platforms and systems – Oracle WMS a plus
Versique is one of the largest recruiting firms in the Midwest and specializes in both consulting and permanent placement. With a valuable blend of functional, industry and recruiting experience, our award-winning team of headhunters has a proven track record of delivering exceptional talent acquisition solutions. The Versique brand represents a powerful combination of “versatile” and “unique” as it hints at the concept of “search” in it’s pronunciation: ver-seek.
Versique is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse workforce. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status, among other factors.