Director of Manufacturing
Our client company was founded over 70 years ago, providing innovative products for the building industry. A leading manufacturer in this industry, with a passion for excellence and a commitment to quality. Opportunity to impact manufacturing organization and highly visible position.
Job DescriptionThe Director of Manufacturing is a key member of our client’s executive team, directly responsible for the leadership of the company’s raw materials procurement and inventory management, product manufacturing, process and product engineering, regulatory compliance, and equipment and facility maintenance. This position will establish and execute critical strategic initiatives to increase operational excellence, improve manufacturing processes, and play an integral role in driving continuous improvement. This individual will be accountable for driving positive operating results for all manufacturing related operations.
The Director of Manufacturing is part of the executive leadership team and reports directly to the CEO. Five functional areas report into this position, including: supply chain, production, maintenance, manufacturing engineering, environmental health & safety.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure adherence to all regulatory and environmental compliance requirements
- Directly responsible for overall plant efficiency, scrap control and production line rates
- Increase manufacturing capacity through improved machine asset utilization
- Achieve optimum employee levels with minimal overhead while meeting production needs
- Implement equipment upgrades as needed to increase quality, quantity, safety, and efficiency
- Identify, develop, and implement processes to improve productivity and reduce cost
- Direct continuous process improvement efforts and activities on the production floor through lean manufacturing practices
- Implement and monitor processes that provide for the most efficient use of working capital, including appropriate raw materials and WIP inventory levels
- Drive safety initiatives for all functional areas
- Develop and implement plans to standardize machinery and production processes
- Direct all manufacturing related activities and assures production of high-quality products, while achieving performance goals
- Lead product development and process improvement engineering efforts
- Research and identify areas within current production processes for automation
- Direct housekeeping activities and assures compliance with all safety policies and regulations
- Comply with environmental reporting, health, and safety requirements
- Direct manufacturing equipment and product design activities
- Maximize the life of equipment through preventive maintenance program
- Research current industry information and technology affecting functional areas to increase innovation and ensure compliance
- Provide coaching to procurement, production, engineering, and maintenance teams, assisting employees in professional development
- On-going assessment of departmental employee training requirements
- Develop departmental succession plans
- Work in conjunction with HR to develop departmental and individual training programs
- Perform ongoing evaluations of departmental organization structure and team talent
- Develop annual departmental budget to support company initiatives and departmental operating plans
- Effectively manage manufacturing, engineering, and maintenance budgets
- Identify areas to improve departmental efficiency and bottom-line profitability
- Identify manufacturing, engineering, and maintenance related capital requirements
- Research and implement manufacturing options to capitalize on existing and new market opportunities
- Direct product development engineering efforts to support new product concepts
- B.S. degree preferably in mechanical, electrical, or industrial engineering.
- 5-10+ years of direct manufacturing management experience
- 5+ years of experience working in a lean manufacturing environment
- Operated within organizations which effectively utilize ERP systems for manufacturing management and excellence
Versique is one of the largest recruiting firms in the Midwest and specializes in both consulting and permanent placement. With a valuable blend of functional, industry and recruiting experience, our award-winning team of headhunters has a proven track record of delivering exceptional talent acquisition solutions. The Versique brand represents a powerful combination of “versatile” and “unique” as it hints at the concept of “search” in it’s pronunciation: ver-seek.