Director of Nursing – Care Center (Western MN)
Are you an experienced nursing leader interested in a new opportunity to develop and implement an innovative Senior Living patient care structure? This role will engage your abilities to collaborate and work with all departments and staff within a respected care center while ensuring optimal resident experiences and safety. As a member of the organization’s leadership team, this role reports directly to the CEO. Qualified candidates inquire within.
Director of Nursing - Care Center
Locations: Care Center
Full-time, salaried. Evening or weekend work may be necessary.
The Care Center Director of Nursing provides leadership and direction for the resident care services, being responsible for developing, implementing and organizing the patient care structure. The DON interacts effectively with all departments and staff levels to meet facility goals and objectives; and ensures that resident care and practice are consistent with internal and external policies, standards and contracts. The environment for this position is a combination of office and other clinical settings.
Duties / Responsibilities
- Develops, accomplishes, and evaluates, with input from direct reports, the department goals, objectives, and strategies aligned with organizational Vision, Strategic and Financial plans; participates and attends board and committee meetings/functions, as appropriate.
- Hires, disciplines, and terminates employees.
- Assures compliance with organizational policies/procedures.
- Develops and maintains systems and processes to support quality, risk management, safety and infection control within service areas.
- Ensures response to facility wide customer concerns and complaints. Ensures resident needs and requirements are addressed in employees’ daily activities.
- Monitors performance and evaluates structures, systems, and processes in area of nursing responsibility; ensures for adequate numbers of nursing staff to meet residents’ needs; understands and represents nursing interests and concerns in discussions and decisions related to residents’ care.
- Develops, monitors, and operates within the operation’s capital budgets and provides variance justification. Defines, monitors, and manages budgets, cost control, productivity improvement, and maximization of net revenues within the division in partnership with the Administrator.
- Conducts annual performance reviews.
- Follows Union policies.
- Prepares and updates job descriptions.
- Ensures staff received required annual training.
- Is member of the QAPI committee, attends meetings and prepares projects.
- Is next in charge when the Care Center Administrator is absent.
- Reviews, creates and updates policies and procedures.
- Reviews time cards using CeleriTime to input information.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education / Experience
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Nursing is required.
- Current and unrestricted Minnesota Registered Nurse License.
- Masters in Nursing, Health Care Administration or Management is preferred.
- Five years of RN experience or relevant Long-Term Care management or leadership experience, including but not limited to: CMS Regulations, MDS 3.0, Medicare, Staffing, Quality Improvement, Infection Control & Staff Education
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of nursing theories and practices.
- Strong clinical skills, mentoring abilities, and a successful track record of management in a progressive environment.
- Strategic and operational planning skills with the ability to follow through and carry out the nursing home mission.
- Ability to supervise, direct, motivate, and evaluate nursing staff while providing safe, consistent and quality care to patients.
- Capable of managing daily challenges in a rural health care setting.
- Managerial problem solving and decision making skills.
- Ability to delegate appropriately and effectively.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including being able to effectively communicate with various age groups.
- Positive attitude.
- Understanding and knowledge of State and Federal requirements for the department.
- Willingness to work with other departments to find solutions to problems.