Engineering Supervisor – Product Development
My client is a rapidly growing innovative Consumer Products Company in Minneapolis, MN area with a dynamic, fast-paced, product development work environment with core values of Integrity, Innovation, Passion, Customer Responsiveness, and Continuous Improvement. This is a leadership role to guild product development within the engineering team and this position reports to the Director of Product.
Position Description: Engineering Product Development Supervisor
The Product Development Supervisor position is the engineering function lead for one or more new product development projects as well as the personnel manager for engineers and designers as assigned. Primary responsibilities and accountabilities include leading engineering project teams through product definition, conception, development, qualification and launch phases of the new product commercialization process within necessary timelines; supervising, mentoring, encouraging, motivating, developing and appraising direct reports; and collaborating with cross-functional peers in product management, marketing, manufacturing, sales, technical publications, quality and customer service on product and project issues. The Product Development Supervisor is a key contributor in the creation of reliable, maintainable, manufacturable, scalable, profitable, aesthetically attractive, innovative, cost-effective, reproducible and industry-leading products.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Drive the development, maintenance and revision of engineering project development plans and schedules from conception to product launch within overall business requirements—quality, timeliness and cost.
- Track & report project progress to cross-functional peers and business leaders.
- Oversee engineering team execution of project plans in the creation of new and derivative products that deliver lasting competitive advantage.
- Create and oversee development of high-quality design documentation including CAD models, component and assembly drawings, technical specifications, bills-of-material, and engineering change orders.
- Manage and prioritize engineering resources as necessary to deliver project plans as scheduled.
- Drive the development of comprehensive, unambiguous and measurable design requirements that effectively satisfy customer needs and desires.
- Manage the development and execution of robust design qualification plans including testing, design analysis, qualitative evaluations, reliability demonstration, and variation management.
- Apply principles of engineering and science to ensure high quality engineering output and rigor.
- Lead and mentor junior engineers and designers throughout the development cycle.
- Prepare, lead and participate in formal/informal design reviews.
- Leverage engineering analysis and product test data to understand and manage design trade-offs.
- Lead and participate in technical problem-solving activities to resolve design issues.
- Drive identification, development and implementation of cost-reduction design changes for targeted products.
- Collaborate with Product Management on project definition, prioritization, coordination and execution.
- Collaborate with Marketing team on development of product packaging and messaging.
- Collaborate with Quality and Manufacturing teams to ensure designs are optimally manufacturable and product package includes product qualification testing and certification.
- Collaborate with Procurement team to anticipate and resolve design related supply issues.
- Collaborate with Customer Service team to understand and resolve design related field issues.
- Collaborates with Sales team to understand and respond to customer needs and competitive threats.
- Effectively lead, manage, coach, mentor, develop and motivate direct reports.
- Develop, document and deliver performance appraisals for direct reports.
- Support organizational development of Product Development department through interviewing and hiring, personnel training and skill development and performance recognition and feedback.
- Continuously develop personal knowledge of industry, competition and customers through research, trade show attendance and direct/indirect customer interaction.
- Keep integrity of business by maintaining privacy and confidentiality of information, stewardship of company assets, acting ethically, adhering to applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations as well as the company policies, and reporting all potential non-compliance with these.
- Confer with appropriate management personnel to resolve problems, complaints or concerns.
- Understand workplace hazards and take steps to proactively prevent and report hazards or injuries in the workplace. Cooperate in Safety Programs, initiatives, and investigations.
- Demonstrate five core values of Integrity, Customer Responsiveness, Innovation, Passionate Contribution & Empowerment and Continuous Improvement.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Ability to manage people; train and motivate employees at all levels, as well as delegate effectively
- Excellent product vision and effective product planning skills
- Skills in managing full life cycle development projects, and end to end product development processes
- Must possess high degree of professionalism and ability to handle confidential information
- Ability to interpret standards, specifications, procedures, drawings, etc.; mechanical aptitude
- Need to be a flexible and adaptable facilitator between internal departments across brands and regions, to improve project time, design, and/or communications
- Must possess high level of enthusiasm, strong integrity, keen customer service, excellent organizational skills and excellent collaboration and interpersonal skills
- Be detail-oriented and have excellent follow-through skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to function in a deadline driven environment
- Must have the ability to make recommendations to effectively resolve problems or issues, by using judgment that is consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulation or government law
- Computer literate (MS Office, e-mail, etc.)
- Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering (BSME) or other related technical degree with a minimum of four (4) years of experience as a mechanical engineer, with a demonstrated ability to manage engineers or other technical personnel; or combination of relevant education and experience
- Knowledge of design & manufacturability issues with sheet metal, metal castings, plastic moldings, and precision machined parts
- Project Management experience and demonstrated proficiency
- 3D CAD work experience
- FEA experience preferred
- Experience with SolidWorks preferred
- Electrical or controls experience within the product offering preferred
- Experience working with multiple disciplines, including electrical and mechanical design, layout, manufacturing, external suppliers and service providers preferred
- UL, TUV and/or CE experience preferred
- Experience with SAP preferred
Please include your resume with your application. This position is located in the Minneapolis, MN area, no relocation is allocated.