Human Resources Generalist
Our client, a property management company in Minneapolis, is seeking a driven and resourceful Human Resources Generalist! If you are looking for a collaborative working environment and are inspired by a mission-driven business, check this out!
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, the Human Resources Generalist performs professional-level responsibilities in support of the Human Resources function. The HR Generalist carries out duties in all functional areas, including benefits administration, payroll, employee relations, investigations, performance management, leave administration, unemployment and employment law
- Perform payroll and labor functions including reporting, remittance and system administration
- Process semi-monthly payroll, verify timecards are complete, update labor allocations, and manage payroll related record keeping, and reconciliation
- Input and verification of new hires, terminations, benefit deductions, separation pay, garnishments, direct deposit, retro, manual checks, vacation, safe and sick leave and bonuses
- Host insurance benefits enrollment meetings, review online enrollment information and process information with carriers
- Review and reconcile monthly benefit invoices for accuracy; resolve discrepancies with carriers and payroll
- Respond to employees who have questions about benefits or policies
- Assist with the planning, design, implementation, maintenance, regulatory compliance and administration of employee benefits programs, including medical and dental plans, disability plans, retirement, Flexible Spending, etc.
- Function as an intake representative for employee concerns
- Conduct investigations as appropriate; provide guidance and make recommendations to supervisors in employee relations issues.
- Field inquiries from employees regarding policies and procedures, interprets policies and responds as necessary.
- Effectively implements and communicates policies and programs as they are developed.
- Coach managers on performance management matters; recommend corrective action, provide tools and language, and ensure consistency
- In partnership with the HR Director, develop forms, programs, systems (e.g. Performance Review system) and training with respect to improve the performance management function
- Handle all aspects of the workers compensation process from pre-accident awareness and reporting to return-to-work to file closure
- Serve as the chairperson for the safety committee
- Promote continuous improvement of safety systems that results in the reduction of accidents and assures regulatory compliance
- Provide accurate maintenance of HRIS, payroll and Time and Attendance systems in addition to other systems
- Assists in determination and evaluation of metrics, reports, decisions, and deliverables of the HR department in relation to established goals
- Recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures to impact continual improvements in productivity and service
- Research and stays informed about best practices. Expands knowledge of relevant laws, regulations, and environmental changes that could affect HR. (e.g. FMLA, Minnesota Parenting leave, personal leaves, etc.)
- Manage and coordinate all aspects of leaves of absence programs and requests
- Monitor and respond to communications for unemployment insurance including processing paperwork for the unemployment insurance account
- File appeals and maintain pending appeals as needed. Participate in appeal hearings. Coach managers on their role in the appeal process
- Complete employment verifications for past and present employees.
- Maintain all personnel files in compliance with applicable legal requirements
- Assist with keeping employee records up to date
- Maintain accurate spreadsheet of employee Performance Reviews
- Track and keep updated employee vehicle insurance cards
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or related field
- 3-5 years of relevant experience human resources including employee relations, employment, investigations and applicable laws and regulations
- Knowledge and experience so as to be able to work independently with minimal direction
- Strong results orientation with ability to prioritize multiple projects while remaining proactive and flexible in style
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a proactive communication style
- Demonstrated ability to build consultative, collaborative relationships with managers and co-workers at all levels.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good/strong judgment in sensitive situations
- Strong employee relations experience, including experience with internal investigations, formal charges/litigation situations
- Demonstrated highest level of confidentiality and discretion
- Ability to use critical thinking and analytical skills regularly to identify issues and trends, develop solutions and/or recommendations
- Professional attitude, approachability and comfortable working with ambiguity.
- Proficiency in computer software including word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation skills with ability to create spreadsheets, presentations, and professional documents