New Product Engineering Manager
Our client, a $26M division of a successful, privately held Minnesota manufacturing company is looking to continue to grow, innovate and capture markets, needing engineering talent to do that! This engineering leadership opportunity with our Minnesota client, offers visibility and potential future opportunity across the businesses. I am looking to speak with a creative, self-starting mechanical engineer who has lead a team or is ready for that step.
This position will be the principal driver behind the new product development program, including all aspects of creating cost effective, applicable customer solutions from idea conception through product launch. Responsible for managing the team of designers in completing daily engineering tasks. Maintaining a focus on completing customer facing requests as well as progress on other internal goals for new product programs.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Drive new product development process from initial idea conception through product launch, including 3D designs, internal testing, and testing with customers. Oversee prototype budget. Schedule and manage product development and launch tasks for engineering department as well as rest of division.
- Focus on customer solutions that increase customers’ sales or reduce their costs.
- Stimulate a creative, solution driven environment in engineering department – “How can we do this?”
- Develop adaptable designs that anticipate future customers’ needs by designing flexibility into product, providing just enough flexibility for solution to apply to many customers without drastically increasing overall cost of solution.
- Coordinate with sales department to focus on solutions with greatest market potential.
- Balance time spent in new product development versus immediate customer requests to ensure progress in both areas.
- Manage and coach Engineering team, offering encouragement, ideas and technical knowledge.
- Responsible to manage engineering team budget.
- Schedule and assign tasks and projects among the department and any outside resources as needed. Balance and re-schedule as needed to meet committed deadlines and changing customer requests.
- Manage product change orders including new product documentation, existing product revision, and customer solution presentations. Ensure requests have sufficient information to be completed before processing.
- Direct engineering standards and hardware/software requirements and upgrades needed.
- Coordinate design across similar products and re-use components to reduce number of SKUs where possible to drive inventory availability and cost efficiencies.
- Anticipate possible future requirements and design flexibility as it pertains to current products to minimize customer re-design requests.
- Facilitate meetings and communication between technical and non-technical members of division.
Required Skills & Experience:
- BSME, Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent)
- 3D CAD modeling experience. (Autodesk Inventor experience a plus)
- Experience designing products that includes creating 3D CAD Modeling.
- Experience managing designers and/or engineers in creative work, highly preferred
- Travel domestic and International as needed.
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment required. Experience working with outside job shop vendors both domestically and in Southeast Asia, very helpful.
- Project management experience working with multiple areas of the organization. Excellent planning, execution and project management skills required.
- Proficient with Microsoft Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- MBA a plus