Representing a growing manufacturing client in Northern Minnesota. Our client is continually developing new products, resulting in a broad and industry leading product portfolio.
The Manufacturing Operations Leader ensures manufacturing facilities are operating as smoothly and efficiently as possible. Setting workplace policies that will be safe and will optimize production and profitability. The Operations Leader is responsible for all aspects of the manufacturing process and facility; which includes employees, budget, equipment, new capital expenditures, processes, quality, shipping, purchasing & sourcing. This position ensures that customers receive their products on-time and within an optimum cost of goods range.
This Operations Leader reports directly to the CEO and works together with the CEO and Sales Leader to meet and exceed company goals. Direct reports will include: Purchasing Manager, Production Manager, Engineering Manager, Quality, Safety, along with Service and Warranty functional areas. Currently this includes about 85 people.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead and coach the operations organization to act cohesively towards company goals and expectations. A present and active leader on the shop floor building rapport with the team and helping implement initiatives. A leader who drives culture.
- Lead the Production scheduling, planning and execution team in a make to order or job shop production environment.
- Implement QRM (Quick Response Manufacturing), just in time and lean manufacturing concepts.
- Lead the scale up of manufacturing and maximize facility space in order to meet capacity requirements.
- Understand process engineering and production concepts, process flow, fixturing, tooling etc., in order to impact and improve efficiency, productivity and throughput.
- Increase production, capacity and quality, through positive leadership and motivation.
- Drive initiatives that contribute to long-term operational goals.
- Establish and communicate performance measures and results.
- Thorough knowledge of manufacturing processes and technology, and information systems, Syspro a plus.
- Production Planning and Control, Inventory, Supply Chain, Facilities and Plant and Equipment Maintenance.
- Supervise personnel which typically include recommendations for hiring, firing, performance evaluation, training, work allocation, and problem resolution
- Assures that all OSHA-AWAIR, Right to Know and MSDS regulations are complying and that safety is stressed and emphasized to all employees.
- This position requires excellent communication, planning and problem-solving skills. Should be detail and people oriented and have strong interpersonal skills. Candidates must be highly motivated and be able to perform in a dynamic environment. Ability to motivate and lead at all levels of the organization.
- Ten years’ experience progressing career to operations leader.
- Must have proven decision-making and communication skills, be responsible, mature, flexible, and have management experience.
- Self-starter and ability to work independently in a startup environment.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Manufacturing, MBA is a plus
Critical Success Factors
To perform the position successfully, an individual should demonstrate well developed
competencies in the following areas:
- A proven leader, with excellent management skills, who excels at motivating and working with a manufacturing team
- Proven experience to draw from in ramping up manufacturing operations.
- A direct and clear communicator with open and inclusive (team-based) management style
- Able to lead and influence “buy-in” for new initiatives to impact
- Results orientation with a strong entrepreneurial spirit and sense of urgency including an all-hands-on-deck mind-set.
- Strong business acumen, including experience managing a large budget
- Ability to manage change and use creative alternatives to solve problems, with an attitude of “better to do something wrong and create a learning opportunity, then not at all.”
- Team player; able to fit the existing culture, yet helps to lead the organization to the next level.
- A strategic leader with the ability to formulate and implement successful organizational strategies to maximize potential.