Our client is a small, entrepreneurial company with a robust business, delivering solutions to customers in the field. In business over 20 years, our client is a technology leader in small, municipal wastewater solutions. With a strong sales history, hundreds of proven installations and innovative technologies that meet and exceed customer requirements, our client is uniquely positioned for growth and broadening of core product offerings. This Operations Manager position, will assist North American operations in optimizing project workflow, maximizing profitability, and will be responsible for leading the day-to-day operations of core business. This role is critical to the company’s success and reports to the CEO and majority owner. Opportunity to have a significant impact and high visibility, leading company operations and enjoying work at the same time!
Operations Manager Position
This position is responsible for leadership of the project management process from the "commitment/design" phase through the "project closeout" phase, utilizing specific guidelines and procedures to ensure that activities are carried out in accordance with established specifications, schedules, and budgets. This position will also be responsible for coordinating all departmental functions in order to minimize delays; directing activities concerned with contracts for purchase or sale of product; meeting with project team members on a regular basis to review project status and planning future actions by performing the following duties.
- Directs and coordinates activities and schedules of project team members (engineering, field services, accounting and procurement) to ensure fulfillment of contracts within prescribed budget and defined timelines.
- Lead project kick-off and submittal meetings. Establish clear expectations, timing and action plan for each project. Manage and update each project management manual.
- Manage supply chain and negotiate vendor contracts. Negotiate purchase agreements, write purchase orders and manage amendments to supplier (vendor) contracts. Establish optimized pricing for company and qualified alternate source of supply options for all key product components. Ensure quality and on time supply of critical vendor supplied equipment.
- Advise planning and production schedules with both outsourced and internal suppliers to meet project timing requirements.
- Keep customers informed on the project status and act as liaison between consulting engineers, general/sub-contractors and facility customers during the entire project duration. Keep appropriate sales management personnel informed of project details as needed.
- Conduct monthly project status reviews with select management and accounting department that informs revenue forecasts and projected completion timing.
- Confers with employees to provide technical advice and to resolve external issues. Lead the ‘issue resolution process’. Primary point of contact with external stakeholders as required; insuring customer satisfaction.
- Coordinate and facilitate the Field Services Personnel resource levels. Manage the Field service resources by allocating the time and equipment needed for any and all field service-related work within budget and in a timely manner.
- Improve operational effectiveness by streamlining business work processes, procedures and improving information transfer between internal departments.
- Play a pivotal role in cost-based management practices and take an active role in the financial management of the company by overseeing and developing annual budgets in conjunction with department heads. Work side by side with finance to ensure that budgets are maintained and adhered to.
- Operations Management, Project Management, Mechanical or Civil Engineering degree preferred.
- 5+ years demonstrated knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas: project management, construction management or supply chain management.
- Strong mechanical aptitude. Ability to analyze and recommend mechanical design and fabrication options for a variety of engineering disciplines. Examples include mechanical systems, pumps, blowers, controls. Experience with geomembranes and/or geotextiles a plus. Ability to read and understand both mechanical and civil requirements and drawings a plus but can also learn on the job.
- Strong proficiency with MS Office (core competency in Excel and Project Management tools)
- This position requires someone with the ability to multi-task, lead multiple cross-functional project teams, all the while controlling costs and improving service.
- Exceptional communications skills. Ability to ‘lead’ team meetings and effectively work with both external and internal customers.
- Moderate CAD proficiency and experience.
- Ability to establish and maintain a positive, professional atmosphere for employees, partners and especially customers
- Demonstrated experience in data and document management.
- Ability to manage multiple, high priority projects in a fast?paced environment.
- Demonstrated experience in identifying and implementing workflow changes necessary to optimize operational costs and efficiencies, preferred.
- Experience in capital equipment bidding, quotation and working with related engineers and contractors, preferred.
- Conceptual thinking capability for engineering solutions and supplier management options, preferred.
- Up to 20% travel; however, that is flexible.