Our client, a health care equipment organization, is seeking a Payroll Manager for their office in Minneapolis, MN. If you have multi-state payroll experience, have led and developed others, and have the desire to facilitate continuous improvement projects, this could be the opportunity for you!
Reporting to the Total Rewards Leader, the Payroll Manager leads the payroll team for a 3,000-person company operating in almost all 50 states. Responsible for the timely, accurate and compliant processing of bi-monthly payroll and all subsequent reports, records and filings.
- Maintain/configure Workday payroll system and time and attendance system.
- Manage vendor relationships (ADP, Equifax, and Workday)
- Maintain compliance with all tax, withholding and reporting requirements
- Ensure compliance with all applicable state and federal wage and hour laws relating to payroll
- Manage the preparation of weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end management reports (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.).
- Monitor and approve federal and state payroll tax filings, including 940s and W-2s.
- Review and approve employee tax withholding audits to ensure compliance
- Review and approve all employee and payroll processing data audits to ensure accuracy.
- Create/update payroll-related reports in Workday
- Evaluate and analyze existing payroll policies, procedures and business processes; draft, propose and implement changes and/or quality control measures leading to best practice operations
- Solve payroll related issues, respond to payroll related inquiries and enforce payroll policies
- Serve as the primary Human Resource team liaison with the Finance and Accounting Departments
- Supervise, mentor, coach and conduct performance evaluation of Payroll staff
- Provide payroll-related analysis and support during any mergers/acquisitions
- Bachelor’s degree (accounting or business-related field preferred)
- Seven or more years of payroll and/or accounting related experience
- Two or more years of multi-state payroll experience
- Payroll supervisory experience
- Payroll Certification (CPP)
- Extensive knowledge of payroll administration and accounting
- Ability to interpret/apply taxation, withholding, and reporting requirements at all levels (federal, state, local)
- Understanding of Banking and ACH processes
- Ability to manage interfaces between electronic data processing and the payroll/accounting functions
- Advanced knowledge of HR/Payroll system functions
- Ability to courteously and professionally respond to the needs of employees while being flexible and responsive in a fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel
- Advanced PC skills to include database and spreadsheet tools, including creation and maintenance of queries and reports