Working with a successful manufacturing business that has been in operation for 20 years and has recently changed ownership. The ownership group is supporting the strong culture of “team” that currently exists and is financially investing in people and resources to optimize the operation and allow for future growth of product lines as well as potentially bring in other product lines from future acquisitions. This manufacturing organization is aligned into 3 verticals that all support an aspect of electrical power products. In addition to adding resources that include people, software platforms, and equipment, our client will be moving their facility (South Metro) in order to have additional capacity and better organization of their manufacturing layout. Exciting opportunities are on the near horizon for several leaders that will include opportunities to shape, coach, grow and mentor teams with high visibility and collaboration with President and COO.
As management’s representative for quality, the quality director will manage department resources and coordinate the implementation of the quality management system to cost-effectively facilitate product/process quality and compliance. This position will consistently interact and collaborate with all functional areas as well as with customers, field sales, regulatory agencies, corporate management and suppliers. Reports directly to Chief Operating Officer.
- Provide management oversight of Quality Management Systems (QMS) functions, including Documentation Management, Engineering Change Control, Corrective Actions and Preventive Actions, Non-conforming Materials, Customer Compliant Handling, Internal Auditing, Quality Training, and Supplier Quality Management.
- Provide oversight of site Quality operations including Quality Engineering, Quality Assurance, & Quality Control functions. Ensure the comprehensive completion of risk management, process quality control plans, and Incoming Quality/Outgoing Quality/Process Quality, process validations, as well as test method validation.
- Championing & driving a culture of continuous improvement ensuring customer satisfaction, compliance to agency certifications and achieving factory & business objectives. Drive, educate, mentor team on the effective application of 6 sigma tools to ensure quality is addressed at the source.
- Further Develop, maintain and improve the QMS acting as management representative with responsibility to ensure quality system requirements are effectively established and maintained.
- Develop relationship with customers and understand their quality issues and improvement initiatives
- Assure all products released to the market meet specification and agency requirements for their intended market and customer.
- Actively participate on the plant leadership team. Taking initiative to proactively create cross-functional collaboration and engagement to more effectively implement programs and processes in support of meeting the business plans and objectives.
- Report progress on quality issues and improvement programs to Customers & business leadership as needed. Maintain relationship with customers to ensure their business needs are met or exceeded.
- Responsible for conducting management reviews and generating and maintaining site quality system and product quality metrics, KPIs
- Manage Quality Assurance staff by providing coaching, counseling, planning, mentoring, etc. Establish measurable employee goals and perform appraisal through performance reviews
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, science or equivalent technical discipline
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in quality management/quality engineering role with proven knowledge of quality tools & processes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with strong customer focus
- Experience using RCCA (Root Cause Corrective Action) problem solving techniques
- Experience leading site level Six Sigma/Lean/Quality Improvement projects
- Demonstrated ability to effectively utilize 6 sigma tools such as Value Stream/Process Flow Mapping, FMEA, Control Plans, Capability Studies, DOE, Gage R&R, etc.
- Six Sigma Greenbelt certified – Blackbelt a plus
- Strong leadership, team and people management skills
- Proven ability to lead cross functional teams and create excellent collaboration
- Change management experience of programs with significant strategic importance
- Ability to lead internal/external audits activities
- Demonstrated skills in customer experience management