Senior Manufacturing Engineer
Working with a successful manufacturing business that has been in operation for 20 years and has recently changed ownership. The ownership group is supporting the strong culture of “team” that currently exists and is financially investing in people and resources to optimize the operation and allow for future growth of product lines as well as potentially bring in other product lines from future acquisitions. This manufacturing organization is aligned into 3 verticals that all support an aspect of electrical power products. In addition to adding resources that include people, software platforms, and equipment, our client will be putting processes in place and coaching and teaching employees in order to improve processes and quality and all for efficiencies. An exciting upcoming project includes the move of the manufacturing facility and this person will be involved in the new layout. Opportunity for high visibility and impact. Senior Manufacturing Engineer This Senior Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for developing and evaluating new processes and improve current process capability, efficiency, and overall productivity in assigned areas of manufacturing on new and existing products. In addition, the Senior Manufacturing Engineer designs and develops projects connected with manufacturing equipment and processes including tools, jigs, and special equipment that help achieve the desired production rates and quality standards as well as support value stream production cells, working toward desired SQDIC metrics, capacity, quality & productivity improvements. This position reports to the Manufacturing Operations Leader.
- Develop innovative solutions to engineering and manufacturing production problems through identification and implementation of manufacturing processes, including conducting process analysis, applying knowledge of product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling and materials, conferring with suppliers and soliciting observations from the operators and production technicians.
- Refine and enhance processes by applying continuous improvement and key Lean Manufacturing production principles and techniques to areas of production.
- Provide daily support of production personnel to ensure process and equipment issues are performing at efficiency.
- Recommend product changes/improvements to Design Engineering to enhance product manufacturability.
- Improve manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning workflow, space requirements and equipment layout.
- Coordinate input that may cross multiple teams or areas, make recommendations and implement changes.
- Assure product and process quality by designing testing methods, testing finished product and process capabilities and establishing standards to confirm and validate manufacturing process requirements.
- Determine root cause of failure using statistical methods (e.g. design of experiment, SPC) that may result in changes in design, tolerances or processing methods.
- Evaluate capital equipment investments and prepare cost justifications.
- Design and prepare concept drawings of new equipment or modifications to existing equipment.
- Manage the implementations of capital equipment projects.
- Develop tooling and fixtures for new products and processes and work with tooling vendors to supply designs.
- Identify and implement solutions for issues relating to safety, quality, productivity and cost reductions.
- Prepare documentation for new manufacturing processes and engineering procedures.
- Prepare reports summarizing analyzed process information and trends.
- Manage capital budgets & ensure projects are completed on-time with stated ROI.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical, Industrial and/or Manufacturing Engineering from an accredited University.
- Strong business acumen with knowledge on developing financial justifications.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize and manage multiple assignments.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience working in a manufacturing environment
- Experience in leading multi-functional teams through complex projects from planning to completion.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Experience using Lean Six Sigma/Quality Improvement methods and tools.
- Strong communications skills (oral, written and presentation) with the ability to influence across all levels in the plant.
- Flexible to provide support for multiple shift manufacturing operations as needed.
- Microsoft Office proficient, CAD a distinct plus.
- Manufacturing facility is in Faribault, MN, no relocation will be offered.