Our client strives to serve their clients’ best interests by remaining singularly focused on our specialized line of business. They are committed to continuing the principles that they were founded on more than 90 years ago.
Our client is seeking a skilled system engineer for direct hire, permanent placement with their established organization in the north-west suburbs of Minneapolis.
This role will be a combination of Systems Engineering and Systems Administration. Looking for someone that has a background in building and deploying servers and infrastructure but the role itself is more of an oversight, strategy, road mapping and planning role. The parent company of this organization has the data center and the equipment but frequently because of patching or upgrades to the OS, an engineering background is needed to adequately plan, direct and act as a liaison to the parent company team in its efforts. There will be some application "ownership" to this role, and we are interested in speaking with people who have had this responsibility in the past.
- Create and maintain roadmaps for server infrastructure as well as for 3rd party enterprise applications to ensure ongoing compliance and functionality.
- Develop strong working relationships with application development/support teams and establish effective solutions to meet business requirements in a DevOps environment.
- Manage new software releases, system upgrades, evaluate and install patches and resolve software and server infrastructure related problems.
- Develop appropriate documentation for application deployment, configuration, and related processes.
- Identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective new or more effective technology solutions.
- Participate in disaster recovery planning, testing and response.
- Oversee the routine preventative maintenance of all underlying application infrastructure on a scheduled basis.
- Monitors the overall health of the infrastructure supporting the existing application portfolio through monitoring solutions such as AppDynamics.
- Support, maintain, and administer third party applications.
- Perform system administration duties in a Windows Active Directory environment
- Act as Technical Lead and Subject Matter Expert in support of both Business and IT project initiatives from an infrastructure and application owner perspective.
- Ensure server data integrity by evaluating, implementing, and managing appropriate software and hardware solutions.
- Make recommendations on priorities, design changes, improvements, and problem resolution that impact the team or department and support the changing business needs.
- Document and analyze various existing processes and apply continuous improvement practices to implement changes that gain both quality and efficiency.
- Partner with parent company’s (HCC) Architecture and Support teams to provide quality solutions and processes that meet and support the business’s requirements.
- Responsible for Lifecycle and Capacity management planning for all server related infrastructure.
- Responsible for updating and maintaining a Configuration Management Database
- Submit server requests and oversees the timelines for completion.
- Acts as Application owner and Subject Matter Expert for enterprise applications.
- Oversee the Installation, configuration, and maintenance of 3rd party applications.
- Implement Application system enhancements and upgrades that will improve the reliability and performance of the system.
- Support releases by documenting test cases when needed as well as provide change management representation during CAB meetings.
- Ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of the current server/network infrastructure.
- Monitor the system daily and respond quickly to any security breaches or usability concerns.
Nonessential skills and experience:
- Other duties and projects may be assigned
Success Factors/job competencies:
- Develop work plans, establish timelines, and set goals for assigned work.
- Meet commitments on deadlines.
- Drive improvement in existing business processes.
- Perform work thoroughly in a cost-efficient manner and at a high productivity level.
- Comply with all corporate policies and procedures.
- Report any breakdown in controls to management.
- Possess and have ability to apply broad knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with an emphasis on confidentiality, tact, and diplomacy
- Exceptional organizational and analytical skills; demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Knowledgeable of industry changes, legal updates and technical developments related to applicable area of the Company’s business to proactively respond to changing business environment
- Intermediate proficiency and experience using Microsoft Office Package (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field or the equivalent education and/or experience
- Minimum of five years of relevant and progressive professional experience
- Advanced knowledge and administration experience of various Microsoft technologies including
- Active Directory, SMS, MS-SQL, IIS, ISA, Windows 2012 R12 and Office 365 including OneDrive, Teams etc..
- Technical expertise in implementing Cloud based technologies such as AWS and Azure.
- Experience in working in a DevOps environment
- Must have strong troubleshooting skills and in-depth knowledge of multi-site, mixed-technology enterprise environments
- Creating and managing technical road maps
- Performing Lifecycle and Capacity planning for both software and hardware
- Sound working knowledge of Internet/Intranet technologies including security features.
- Strong knowledge of current security practices in the industry
- Sound working knowledge of network infrastructure and operations, including switching, routing, Ethernet, TCP/IP
- Sound working knowledge of remote access technology
- Citrix experience is a plus
Physical demands and work environment:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: Must be able to tolerate prolonged sitting, standing, kneeling and walking for up to several hours per day. Must be able to lift and move 10-15 lbs. regularly. Must be able to perform repetitive key-stroking activity for up to several hours per day. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Performing this job requires use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk and hear, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- Work environment: Office setting with business casual/casual work attire.