Is Job Recruiting at a Search Firm Sexy?
I stumbled into Minnesota’s largest recruiting firm back in 1997 based on a friend’s suggestion. At the time, I didn’t even know what a recruiting firm was. Not knowing anything but the rental car business I came from, I sat down for an interview. I remember being skeptical when the recruiter told me I could make $100K if I was good. After a number of interviews with other companies, I still couldn’t shake what he’d said. $100K, really? I’d never made more than $50K, and at 27, that was a lot of money! It seemed like a good opportunity, and it had the sales aspect I was familiar with, so I accepted the recruiting position, placing salespeople in Minnesota.
In my first full year as a recruiter, I was the #2 person in the company out of over 30 recruiters, and I made over double what I had the year before.
I remember thinking that I had it all figured out. Sitting on an airplane ready to take off to Las Vegas with the owner of the company, I talked to him about the great $100K quarter in billing revenue I’d just had. Looking for him to tell me I’d done a great job or to give me a pat on the back, he looked at me and said, “That was last quarter. What are you going to do this quarter?”
He mentioned that it takes 5+ years to really become a student of this industry, and he was right. I believe recruiting is a lot like insurance – if you make it 5 years, it’ll be a rewarding career that you’ll never want to leave. I have yet to see a position within any other industry that offers the same perks that a recruiting career offers.
Top 10 reasons to consider making recruiting your next career:
- Pay is based on performance, not by years at a company
- Unlimited commission opportunities
- Flexibility – no nights, no weekends, no travel (home for kids activities)
- Ability to build a business/network that will provide residual business
- Build great relationships with talented people
- Part of an industry that is evolving and changing daily
- Help companies and individuals grow
- Everyone loves to know a headhunter their parents can refer, right mom? : )
- Viewed as subject matter expert who adds value to clients and candidates
- Success is determined by you!
Interesting in learning more about joining our team? Click here.
Other Posts by the Author
- Going All In in 2021
- How Trust and Partnership are Key in the Gig Economy
- Why President’s Club Still Matters Today
Leave a Reply